Wednesday, July 28, 2021

The Field Trip (aka Temporary Parole)

I woke up this morning with mixed emotions.

There was a generous dose of anticipation. For twelve days, this hotel room has been my existence. I wasn't even sure if I remembered how to get to the elevator.  In my defense, I had been traveling for over 40 hours without a significant stretch of sleep. I was on autopilot.  The picture below shows what we could see when opening the door to retrieve meals or other deliveries the last week and a half.



Besides the anticipation, there was also a boatload of excitement. Getting our final covid test means THE END is coming!   

But, mixed in with the anticipation and excitement was minuscule thread of anxiety. Another test. Another swab. Another sinus cavity invasion. Another chance of testing positive and having freedom yanked away. (That's so dramatic, but after 12 days, what would you expect?)  

Our friendly policeman told us yesterday that our test was scheduled for 10 am. He called again this morning at 8:30 to let us know the taxi was on its way. So much for appointments. Luckily, I was ready.

As I put on my shoes, it hit me that I haven't donned a pair of these the last eleven days.


It actually felt slightly strange. Foreign. Alien.

Then, the front desk called. The taxi was here. 


I had no idea our hallway was so long. Each red stool represents a traveler, a fellow inmate. Occasionally, I have heard the one next door. Riding down on the elevator, I glanced at the buttons to see how many floors were in this hotel. Fourteen. I knew there had to be at least one floor above us. Every day, I can hear thumping from above. Obviously, the result of someone exercising. 

On arrival to the lobby, we were directed outside where the taxi driver lightly misted us with an antibacterial solution.


The drive to the hospital was very short. If we were normal people, we could've easily walked. But, normal we are not. And neither was the hospital. Except for a very small emergency sign,  it looked like just another typical Taiwanese storefront establishment.

The very nice taxi driver took our health cards and registered us. After a short wait, we were given a bag with the test supplies and then led to a tent. Inside, a nurse dressed in scrubs and every other possible medical protection gear, stood behind a plexiglass wall. Her gloved hands reached through two holes.

My sinus cavity still hurts from the procedure. I won't go into details. I will say though that they have the process down. Two noses swabbed, vials safely tucked away, in less than 5 minutes!

On returning to the taxi, the driver paid our fee, drove us back to the hotel, sprayed us again, and in less than thirty minutes our foray into reality was over.


I miss outside. I miss doing life.

But, this is about to be distant memory. 










No comments:

Post a Comment